A beautifully Restored Period Residence. CIRCA 1870
The Bank was built in 1870 and was an impressive addition to the town at the time.
The building is approx. 60 squares ( approx. 53 squ's residence and 7 squ's bank chamber )
At the opening of the bank about 1871, a very important "banker" came out from England for the opening and presented the manager with a grape vine cutting from Hampton Court Castle. (That vine is a black hapsburg grape and was planted around 1610.) That cutting prevails today in the courtyard and despite abuse over many of the earlier years, it now is happy and has a small grape harvest each year.
The current kitchen area was where the servants cooked and washed for the Manager and his family. Stables were located in the back yard.
Looking at the building, the banking chamber is through the door on the left, the bank manager's residence is behind the door on the right.
The Bank continued to function as a bank until 1980 when it was sold.
A religious group purchased the old building and rented out rooms to backpackers / itinerants travelers
The current owners purchased the property in late 1992. It was in poor condition throughout.
It is wonderful to see a family lovingly renovate and restore a historic property of this nature. It was a huge job without any expense spared.