Spring has always been a popular time to sell. The sun is shining, the garden looks great and buyers are out and about after a long winter.
So, how can you get your place ready for lookers this spring and shift your home from ‘living’ mode to ‘selling’ mode? If you’re keen to get you place on the market while the sun is shining, we’ve collated all the intel you need in this blog to ensure first impressions are a winner and buyers will be falling over each other to take a look.
First things first, if you’re thinking of selling, our CLK sales team can offer a FREE appraisal so you know where your home fits into the current marketplace. Also, we can also recommend areas for improvement to ensure you’ll be ready for that all-important first inspection.
Let’s first think about what buyers will see when they walk through your front door. Or, even before then, what about your front yard and all-important street appeal.
Take the time to stand back on the street and take a good look at your place and the front yard. Does it look tired, in need or a fresh coat of paint, or are there too many overgrown trees and shrubs hiding the best features of your home?
Moving inside, does your home have an open feel, how is your furniture positioned? Is there clutter in the entry way, blocking the view? Also, consider a second opinion from family or friends when it comes to what looks cluttered. Often when we live with clutter for a while, we just don’t see it.
Here at CLK we actually have a team of stylists who can professionally style and organise your home, so it’s primed for inspection. Talk to our sales team about the details of this service.
To ensure your place is ready for the market, here’s some quick tips to get you started:
- Remove all clutter, even on the walls. While family photos are great, limit them to no more than three. Clutter is the devil when it comes to first impressions.
- Once you’ve decluttered, get stuck into a good spring clean. Ensure that all-important areas such as kitchen and bathroom are spotless and pay attention to small detail. Before the first inspection, ensure any used towels are replaced with clean ones and all personal items are tucked away.
- Fix anything that is broken. Most importantly, ensure any items requiring maintenance have been fixed, including door handles, torn fly screens, broken window latches, light switches, light shades and leaking taps. Also, ensure doors open and close properly and carpets are clean (consider a steam clean).
Backyards are also important for first impressions and we recommend being mindful of the little things that make a big difference, including the following:
- Make sure the barbecue is clean and looks to be in good condition.
- Mow the lawn and ensure it’s tidy and presentable. Also weed the garden and ensure plants are healthy and have been well-watered, particularly in the days leading up to any inspection.
- If you have a pool or spa, be sure to keep them sparkling clean and leaf-free with crystal clear water and clean tiles. Also, make sure any pool equipment is neatly stored away.
- Importantly, ensure all pool fences, gates and in good working order and comply with state specifications.
- Clean and tidy paths and any decking. This is a good time to thoroughly clean, remove cobwebs and perhaps a coat of oil.
- Ensure your spring clean also includes a tidy of your garage and any old sheds or outdoor buildings.
Spring is when gardens are often at their best. Here are some tips to help your garden sing this spring:
- Pruning and de-cluttering – just like the inside of your home, removing unwanted clutter or overgrown plants will make a huge difference.
- Ensure you address any pest and disease problems in your garden before the summer months hit.
- Feed your plants and help them to come alive after the dormant winter months.
- Mulch your garden – this helps to retain water for the summer months, looks tidy and can also give your garden that finishing touch.
- Add some colour and life to your garden – an instant splash of colour from advanced seedlings or potted colour can have a huge impact in any size garden.
So, if you’re keen to sell this spring, it looks like you’ll be busy in the garden this weekend or de-cluttering the shed!
If you’re keen to step into the market, call our CLK Sales team today on (03) 54 822 111 and get moving this spring!
Image source: thebalance.com