Spring and summer are the most popular months to sell a home and we’re here to provide advice on how to shift your home from ‘living’ mode to ‘selling’ mode as the spring air starts to spread across our Murray River community.
Charles L King and Co (CLK) Director Gary Wood says if you’re thinking of selling, NOW is the time to start thinking about first impressions and the presentation or ‘wow’ factor of your home.
If you’re thinking of selling, our sales team can offer a FREE appraisal to see where your home fits into the current marketplace, and we can also recommend what you can do to have it looking its best before that all-important first inspection.
Think about what buyers will see when they walk through your front door.
Does your home have an open feel, how is your furniture positioned?
It’s important to remove any clutter, and while family photos are great, limit them to no more than three.
Clutter is the devil when it comes to first impressions and often if we’ve lived in our homes for many years, we just don’t see it!
Be sure to have your kitchen and bathroom spotless and any used towels replaced with clean ones. Most importantly, ensure any items requiring maintenance have been fixed, including door handles, torn fly screens, broken window latches, light switches, light shades, leaking taps, ensure doors open and close properly and carpets are clean.
Backyards are also important for first impressions and we recommend being mindful of the little things that make a big difference, including the following:
- Make sure the barbecue is clean and looks to be in good condition.
- Ensure the lawn is tidy, mowed and presentable, and the landscaping is also tidy with healthy plants that have been well-watered in the days leading up to any inspection.
- For those with a pool or spa, be sure to keep them sparkling clean and leaf-free with crystal clear water and clean tiles. Make sure any pool equipment is neatly stored away.
“Also don’t forget the fence, gate, paths and decks. These should be thoroughly cleaned of dirt and cobwebs and free of peeling paint,” Gary says.
“Other tips for getting your home ready for sale include sorting through the garage, old sheds and any other outdoor buildings,” he says.
Spring is when our gardens are often at their best. Here are some tips to help your garden ‘sing’ this spring:
1. Pruning and de-cluttering – just like the inside of your home, removing unwanted items in an overgrown garden can make a huge difference.
2. Pest and disease control – attack this problem before the summer months hit.
3. Feed your plants and help them to come alive after the dormant winter months.
4. Mulching your garden – this helps to retain water for the summer months and can often give your garden that finishing touch.
5. Add some colour and life to your garden – an instant splash of colour from advanced seedlings or potted colour can have a huge impact in any size garden.
Looks like you’ll be busy in the garden this weekend, or de-cluttering the shed!
If you’re keen to upsize or downsize your home, call our CLK Sales team today on (03) 54 822 111 and get moving this spring!